At the first mention of Northern Ireland one pictures green hills, beauty of Belfast, and well-maintained farmsteads. Warm, sandy beaches are relatively unheard of in Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland is part of a larger island. Therefore, it is home to some of the most exquisite beaches on the planet. The island has a unique topography and flora. Due to this, the coastline of Northern Ireland is among the best in Europe. The dense greenery leads to white sands. This is a sight to behold. Northern Ireland has wonderful postcard-rich landscapes due to the natural formations and white sands.
Besides the natural beauty, the safety measures and environmental friendliness are also worthy of mention. Tremendous hard work has been put into making these beaches beautiful and safe. The blue flag beaches of Northern Ireland entice you for a swim or sunbathing. Engaging in a relaxing walk is also a favorite activity.
The rating of the beach is based upon cleanliness and accessibility. Availability of bathrooms is also a point in consideration. In 2009, six beaches were awarded Blue Flag status, including Murlough beach, Benome Beach, Portrush White Rocks, Portstewart Strand, Tyrella Beach, and Cranfield West.
Portstewart Strand and Barmouth, Portstewart
The awesome strand at Portstewart throws up images of idle summer days, sandcastles, long, brisk walks, and picnics. This beach stretches for two miles and is the most popular blue-flag beach in Northern Ireland. It is a haven for family vacations.
Portrush Whiterocks Beach, Portrush
This beach was conferred with 2009 Blue Flag Award. The beach has become a favorite getaway for locals as well as international travelers.
Downhill Beach, Castlerock, Coleraine
This golden-sand beach stretches from Downhill Cliffs to Magilligan Point. Mussenden Temple, a famous landmark of Northern Ireland, overlooks the beach. One also gets wonderful views of Donegal Coast.
Ballycastle Beach, Ballycastle
This beach is a short stroll away from Margy River. The seafront has wonderful landscapes and is home to world-class tennis courts.
Tyrella Beach, Downpatrick
Tyrella beach and conservation area lies within Dundrum Bay. It is a small, enclosed dune complex. The sandy beach is wide and flat. It stretches for two kilometers.
Benone Strand, Limavady
Benone Beach is a must-visit beach when in Northern Ireland. The beach comprises seven miles of golden sand. It also gives beautiful views of mountains and cliffs.
Cranfield West Blue Flag Beach, Kilkeel, Newry
Cranfield West is a sandy beach that slopes gently. It is located on the entrance to Carlingford Lough.
Newcastle and Murlough Beach, Newcastle
This beach stretches for five miles. The sands are golden in color. Swimming and sunbathing are popular activities at the beach.
- Top 10 exotic beaches in the World
- Dream holiday in Koh Samui villas
- Top 10 Beaches of the World
- Brighton Beach: one of the stunning beaches in UK
- Top 5 Beach Getaways in 2016
- Barcelona Beaches – pristine, lively and having great facilities
- Bundoran – Ireland’s Premier Seaside Resort
- Best beaches to visit in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland
- Windsurfing in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in Kusadasi, Turkey
- Thinking holidays to Portugal? Then think beaches, sea and sunshine
- The Watersport Conundrum on Tenerife
- What to See & Do in Algarve
- Top five beaches of Portugal
- Beach Holidays in Algarve
- Holidays to Madeira: The Purple Islands
- Holidays to Santorini, Greece
- The Golden Beaches of Ayia Napa – 6 best beaches to explore
- A guide to Montenegro’s beaches
- Levante Beach – Benidorm, Spain
- Best Portugal Beach Resorts
- Riserva Dello Zingaro
- Cala Conte, Ibiza, Spain
- Porth Kidney – Resort Free Beach
- Four Must-See Destinations When in Paphos Cyprus
- Things To Do in Corfu, Greece
- Known For Beach Parties in the Roman Era – Capri, Italy
- Turkey’s Best Beach Holiday Destinations
- Holiday And Travel Guide For Mykonos
- Lake Morat: The Beach of Switzerland
- Corfu Island – a unique Mediterranean experience
- Splendid Canary Islands
- Corfu Beaches – only one of its kinds in Greece
- Best Beaches in Turkey
- Cala Jondal, Ibiza, Spain
- Algarve Portugal – Beach Paradise
- Paradise Bay Malta
- Baia Chia
- Brilliant Blue Flag Beaches of Northern Ireland
- Best Beaches in the World